In these trying times staying home is your safest haven. The CDC has recommended the use of fabric masks amongst others when you are out in public. See the full article here.
Many medical experts encourage the use of fabric face masks as an alternative to the known medical masks in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic. Wearing a face mask made from an Ankara fabric is one of the prevention measures that can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19.
See original image here
Making your own Ankara fabric mask is easy, and you can sew these at home for yourself and your family. To make your own fabric masks kindly follow these 4 simple steps :
- One yard of Ankara fabric of your choice
- Cotton fabric
- Tape measure
- Cotton fabric
- Sewing machine
- ⅛ inch wide elastic
- Using your scissors and tape measure cut out one 10*6 inch rectangle piece of your Ankara fabric and one 10*6 inch rectangle piece of your cotton fabric
- Using your tape measure, measure ¼ inch over the long sides and ½ inch over the short sides. Mark these with chalk. Now fold over these marked sizes with iron and stitch.
- For your ear loops measure and cut 6-inch of the 1/8inch elastic through the wider hem of each side of the sewn mask and tie the ends tight.
- Pull-on the elastic gently so that the knots are tacked inside the hem. Test this and adjust accordingly to fit snugly but comfortably onto your face.
Alternatively, you can get an already made double-layered Ankara fabric face mask freely shipped to you from our shop for just 15 cad.
We have an ongoing sale for single and bulk purchases. If you buy 10 or more you get an additional 15% off your entire order. Let's do our part to prevent this virus from spreading.
Blog Credits: Stephanie Hiewobea-Nyarko
Editor: Michael Annor-Nyarko